Air freight’s main competition is from road transport, maritime transport (shipping containers), and occasionally rail transport. Air freight is frequently thought to be the most expensive, but that is not always the case. For instance, more frequent deliveries ensure a more effective supply.
Air freight is primarily used in the following situations:
- Highly value goods with a low transportation cost compared to the value of the product (electronics).
- Easily spoiled goods (medication, fresh produce).
- Time-sensitive deliveries, where the delivery time of alternative transport methods is not suitable (spare parts).
- The transport of live animals.
- Items which have a higher risk associated with ground transport (precious items).
Goods that require special care
Apart from common goods, the types of goods that require special care for air freight are:
- Hazardous materials
- Human remains
- Live animals
- Valuable items
- Goods that spoil quickly (organs, etc.)
There are very stringent requirements for transporting these kinds of goods. They are frequently subject to enhanced security checks at the airport and in comparison to common goods, there may be delays in their delivery.
The basic air freight services are as follows:
- Air freight from airport to airport
- Air freight from door to door
- Combined air freight (air + highway) – transportation of goods from airport terminals
- Courier service – door-to-door delivery of documents and small packages
Special delivery by air: The goods are collected and are delivered to their destination by direct vehicle. In order to increase delivery speed, priority services are used in the air transportation portion of the delivery to ensure that the goods are given preferred treatment.
On Board Courier (OBC) or Hand Carry: An express service where a courier personally delivers your goods to the desired destination without delay.
Express transport door-to-door by direct vehicle: If the goods are heavy, oversized, or headed for an area with infrequent air connections, it may be more cost-effective to deliver the goods by charter vehicle.
Charter flights: This service may be reasonable to use if the number of goods is larger but delivery as soon as possible is the main priority.
Ordering the services
If you are interested in basic, special care, or express services, reach out to us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Our logistics team will prepare a solution that suits your needs.
If desired, we can advise you on packaging, documentation, customs formalities, etc., to make sure that your delivery arrives without a hitch. Call us: +372 5333 4000.
Aberg Express is a member of the SPAN (Specialist Project and Niche Forwarders Network) and FSFN (Five Star Freight Network) global agency networks, which ensures service in nearly every corner of the world!